Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Look! A Music Post! ...and I didn't even have to put pants on!

In the midst of all this Deadspin attention that I imagine my blog is getting (keyword: imagine), I'm going to venture into the world of, uh, non-sports. I'll try to be short and sweet, because as the Michael Nielsen pointed out, I've been advancing towards Carpal Tunnel with the amount of typing I've done through four posts.

Here's five songs I've been listening to instead of studying for finals, since the two tasks are, in fact, mutually exclusive.


Black Kids, "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance"


I'd never before heard a lesbian's song of confession sung by a man, but we'd also never seen a trippy video featuring a George Washington-esque wig before. So not only am I recommending the song, but I'd say it couldn't hurt to enjoy the video, too.


Kate Nash, "Fluorescent Adolescent"

This Arctic Monkeys cover is the kind of up-tempo pop song she needs to be making. Enough of those ballads my sister listens to. I really love this song. I can't say enough about British accents, really.


Archers of Loaf, "Web in Front"


Highlighted by the line "All I ever wanted was to be your spine" and the late-arriving chorus, this a pretty addicting song.

White Rabbits, "Sea of Rum"

I've been listening to this song almost daily since last August, and I don't really know if it's solely attributable to the fact that they mention the town where my mom works. Kinda cool.

The Wrens, "Boys, You Won't"

The Wrens are about as emotional as my music taste gets. Their 2003 CD, "The Meadowlands" is a post-divorce angst-fest, perhaps also owed to major record label troubles. It's also one of my favorite things I've heard. They write perfect power-pop songs, and this one may be a downer, but if I had to choose a song to cry to every night for the rest of my life, I'd probably choose this. I don't cry, though. Last time I cried was when the Yankees reportedly fired Joe Torre after losing in four to the Tigers. True story, don't tell anyone.

Happy Wednesday! My semester ends in three hours!

No comments: